Tips for Applying for Disability Benefits with Spina Bifida

Posted on November 27, 2013

Today’s post is by guest blogger and writer for the Social Security Disability Help Blog, Ram Meyyappan.


Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits are available for children and adults who suffer from Spina Bifida, if the disorder makes it impossible to work as an adult or prevents the attainment of developmental milestones or participation in activities of childhood.

Decide Which Program Your Should Apply For

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has two different SSD programs you will want to investigate:

Determine Whether You or Your Child Medically Qualifies for Benefits

Spina Bifida applications can be approved for benefits under a number of different circumstances, since the disorder causes a range of complications. The SSA will take into consideration the combined effects of spina bifida and may consult multiple listings in the Blue Book, which is the manual of disabling conditions and the evidence necessary for proving disability.

You may also wish to take a look at the various listings in the Blue Book that may be considered. The Blue Book can be found here:

A few if the listings you may need to review include:

  • Musculoskeletal – Section 1.00, for adults, and 100.00, for children
  • Neurological – Section 11.00, for adults, and 111.00, for children
  • Intellectual Deficits – Section 12.00, for adults, and 112.00 for children

Gather the Necessary Medical and Financial Information

Before beginning your application for benefits, you will need to collect as many of your medical and financial records as possible. You will need the information contained within those records to thoroughly complete your application. You will also need to provide the SSA with copies of as many of your medical records as possible. This will lessen your wait for a decision on your claim, as the SSA will not need to request all of your records from your various healthcare providers and financial institutions.

File the Disability Application

To apply for benefits on behalf of a child, you must interview with an SSA representative, who will fill out the application for you during the appointment. The interview will be held at your local SSA office. To schedule your appointment, call 1-800-772-1213.

If you are applying for disability benefits for yourself, then you can do so at your local SSA office or electronically, via the SSA’s website here:

Appeal if Your Claim is Denied

You may wait several months for a decision on your claim, and it is possible you will be denied benefits. If you or the child for whom you are applying for benefits is denied, you can appeal the decision. You will have to file an appeal within 60 days of receiving your denial notice.

You should strongly consider hiring a disability attorney or advocate if your claim is denied. Your attorney will be able to analyze why your claim was originally denied and will be able to correct any errors that were made.



Leave a Comment

  • Support Florida families affected by spina bifida.